Thursday, July 29, 2010

Puerto Montt

I write from Puerto Montt, Chile, about 1000 km south of Santiago. The weather here is cold and quite rainy too, but the surroundings are so beautiful here in the south that it doesn´t bother me. I arrived here yesterday morning after an overnight bus ride; yesterday was mostly a day of relaxation, as well as going to prayer meeting in the evening (after all, I am staying in the house of a pastor). Today I was able to take the jeep with the pastor´s daughter Pilar and see some of the nearby towns, Frutillar (translated that would be "Strawberry Plant") and Puerto Varas. Both towns are located on the beautiful Lago Llanquihue. Apart from getting some great photos of the lake and surroundings, we were able to visit a German colonial museum, which was fascinating and also quite beautiful. Here are a few of the pictures I got today. I was able to use my memory card in Pilar´s camera, so for a change I actually could see what I was taking photos of today!

Here´s a photo of beautiful Lago Llanquihue.


There was a grand piano sculpture by the lake, so of course I had to try it out. If only it had been real!


I stumbled upon a pretty cool old bowling set in one of the houses at the German colonial museum.


Of course I had to stop to check out the tractor that was out back too.


And at the museum´s cemetery there was a grave that had a spot perfect for me to fit inside, so I did.


To cap off the experience perfectly, a brilliant rainbow stretched across the lake.


I am very grateful to once again be able to see God´s great outdoors and His power and majesty displayed in the world that He has created. Tomorrow I plan to go to a nearby national park, and on Saturday I head to Punta Arenas--right there near the southern tip of South America! You can check it out on a map or globe if you´re curious.

For a more complete photo album of today´s adventures, check out this link.

1 comment:

  1. love the pics. :) the one of the tractor could almost be in MN. i can't wait to see you...only 6 more days!

    ReplyDelete