Tuesday, October 13, 2009

forgetfulness is bliss?

As I wait for my next and final class, I have decided to do something more productive than browse facebook for 20 minutes, namely write this post. Today in my "Prose of Borges" class, we discussed a short story (which somewhat ironically I have not yet read) in which the protagonist has an infinitely good memory--he remembers everything he has ever experienced, in absolute detail. Because of this, to recall a day of his life, he needs another day--24 hours to remember in exquisite detail a previous 24 hours that he has lived. In part, Borges was poking fun at or criticizing the authors of the Realist school who attempted to reproduce reality as accurately as possible, sometimes spending 30 pages on the description of a room.

However, the philosophical questions raised by this story are quite interesting. First of all, we talked of how in the act of remembering, one is required to forget and to choose. When you tell a story of something that happened to you, no one would want to hear every detail, even if you were able to remember everything. Instead, you must actively "forget" the parts that aren´t relevant to what you´re telling. Conversely, you choose what you deem relevant, and that´s what you include. We talked too about those with an overactive memory, who have to look for a way to block memories from their mind so that they´re not overwhelmed.

Along those lines, I thought of my experience with memory. There are some things I remember really well. Don´t ask me what those things are, I just know they exist (if I thought hard enough, I´m sure I would remember. haha). There are many things, though, that slip my mind. Although sometimes this is frustrating, I think in reality those with a not-so-sharp memory have things easier. They say "ignorance is bliss"--I think one could equivalently say "forgetfulness is bliss." Those who remember most of their lives in great detail have a lot to deal with. I think there´s a cloud in the silver lining of good memory, so to speak.

On another note, forgetfulness can´t be all bad if it´s what an omniscient God chooses for Himself. He will not remember our sins or iniquities anymore, if we are His. That´s a forgetfulness that I´m thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment