Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Earthquake

It's been almost two weeks since the historic earthquake devastated much of Chile. However, while things are mostly back to normal here in Santiago, the tragedy is still playing out in full force in many of the places that were hit hardest. Also, today we have had a string of quite strong tremors, so a post on the earthquake is still very relevant.

Most of you have probably seen, heard, or read something of the massive quake here, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time explaining about that (in fact, most of you have even heard from me what my experience was like). I will just show a few of the pictures I took detailing the effects here at my home.

Here's my brother's bedroom:


The pastor's office:


The dining room:


The kitchen:




And finally, the only real structural damage, a crumbled wall outside:



I'm thankful to be safe and in good health--God definitely protected me. However, I want to be able to help in whatever ways I can in the rebuilding and recovery effort. Even if this stops making the news, the effects of this quake will not be over for a long, long time.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that really shook things up! The photo of the spilled ketchup and the knives sticking out looks particularly gruesome. Thank the Lord for protecting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these pictures definitely speak a LOT! We will continue in our prayers for Chile, Haiti, and for you personally. It is a poignant reminder to us all that when devastation comes to any individual's life, it isn't just over because we aren't hearing about it any more. A reminder to carry with us DAILY the tender mercies and love of God for those we are with.

    I LOVE YOU, JOHN !!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It really puts it into perspective to see pictures. John, I'm so glad you were safe. I love you and hope we can talk soon :)

    Becca

    ReplyDelete