Saturday, March 20, 2010

Lessons in endurance

As most of you reading this know, I've been training for a marathon the last few months--the race is only 3 weeks from tomorrow. Today I ran 20 miles, the most I plan to do before the actual marathon. I made the decision (mistake?) to play some soccer yesterday, so I was already sore. I don't think that made the run any easier today :).

Thankfully, the weather was nice, and I ran in the evening cool, so in that regard things were peachy. Still, though, by mile 16 or 17 things were starting to get pretty rough. When I passed by any little store selling fruit or sweet drinks, I started just imagining what it would be like to stop the race and partake. Finally, I stopped and grabbed a pastry and a liter of juice. I sat down next to a nearby intersection, scarfed down the food and guzzled the juice, and got back up and kept running, this time with a half-full glass bottle of juice in my hands instead of the two mostly spent water bottles I carried before.

My time was 2:58, two minutes within the 3 hour goal that I had set for myself. I was pretty happy, but also pretty dead. I managed to walk to the park next door and lay in the grass for awhile, trying not to think of doing this again in three weeks.

Here's a little picture of what happens when you have a toenail that doesn't keep to itself. I hope you're not eating right now. :S


And finally, a picture of how beautiful I looked in the aftermath--thankfully for you, after I showered.


Now it's to bed, to bed for this sleepyhead. Good night :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow, John! We had been wondering how it went for you. Looks pretty rough! But I'm glad you are okay!

    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. John John, I'm very impressed, but I feel so sad for your poor toe at the same time. That's great you were within your time. If that's any predictor of the marathon, I'm sure you'll do great. <3

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny, you poor boy. Way to get the family to sympathize with you:). is that blood all the way through your shoe? That is so impressive that you did 20 miles. I'll be praying for the marathon--that you'll feel up to it and be able to do it in a good time. (sidenote: I somehow don't think you'll ever want to run with me again after this--20 miles in 3 hrs!?!?!?!) anyways, I love you and will be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha to all of you. I definitely don´t need pity... the toe wound was very minor and has not caused me any trouble since the run. I do like the dramatic effect of the photo though. Mostly, I´m just really sore! Also ybab, of course I would still like to run with you :) Don´t be silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Johnny!
    I only have three words for you:
    1. Ow!
    2. Wow!
    3. How?

    Love you lots,
    Ruth

    P.S. Keep going when you hit that third lap depression. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.P.S. Maybe you should cut your toenails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, I have cut them. I hope they´re good to go for the race in just over 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, we'll be praying for you. Love you <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete