Saturday, December 19, 2009

Caroling

I love Christmas caroling. Singing the old Christmas carols not only helps get me more than ever in the "Christmas spirit," but it also helps remind me of the awesomeness of Christmas time and the miracle of the Incarnation of Jesus. He came to earth to humble himself like a little human--a little nothing--and then even to be humbled further and be nailed to a tree to redeem us from all our iniquities.


I also love sharing the joy of Christmas with others. Tonight we went caroling, as is the tradition, at the nursing home near our home. I love singing out with all my heart, along with people who used to sing these songs 70 or 80 years ago and still love them like I do. As we walked the halls, we met a woman who came to her door to listen to our singing. We asked if she had a request, and she said, "Not really... but you could sing Silent Night." We began the song she requested, and soon tears were streaming down here face. I'm not sure exactly what was going on--if she was touched by an old memory or by the fact that we were sharing the love and joy of Christmas with her--but either way, it was cool to be a part of that (assuming, of course, that she was not crying because of our singing. always a possibility). Moral of the story: people should carol more often.

1 comment: